Friday, December 18, 2009

I Heart Faces - Fix-it Friday



Here is my entry to fix-it Friday. I love this photo but it is lacking a wow factor. I love how my girls are looking at each other--but I'm wondering if I should crop it? If I crop it, I lose a lot of the fence, though. Also..the color...ugh. The first one is almost SOOC--just some minor editing with the software that came with my computer--contrast, is all I did, I think.

The second one was edited using all the auto functions of PS Elements 7. It's too green, but I do like the red skirt and the sharpness. HELP!

I'm sorry...I don't know how to give you the details of the shot. I do know that I shot it in auto (I know....I'm such an amateur.)





For any interested readers...the comment section will have critiques--don't be offended. :)

Thank you SO MUCH for feedback!
Be sure to check out other entries in "Constructive Feedback Friday!"

6 comments:

  1. I found your exif info on your Picasa. If you click more info on the right where it says 'picture info', it gives you your settings.
    ISO: 200
    Exposure: 1/100 sec
    Aperture: 2.5
    Focal Length: 50mm

    I wouldn't crop it at all. It shows the playfulness between the girls. Sometimes your best shots are your candid ones.

    What I would try and do is pull the blacks out a little more. This will darken up your greens. I'm not sure about Elements since I edit in Lightroom so I don't know what all you can do to it.

    The only other thing that I would try and do next time, is get them both fully in the frame. Try not to cut off parts even if it is only their bum. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your SOOC is way better! It's so cute! Yeah, too bad you weren't back a little more to get their entire bodies. I like how it's close and intimate though. The only thing I would crop out is that little patch of green grass in the top right corner. My eye goes there and it takes away from the girls.

    Try playing around with the colors a bit. Take out some red/magenta/yellow. See what happens.

    Have fun!
    Amy
    Co-Founder
    I Heart Faces

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...anyone else who happens by....

    Would you work with the SOOC shot or try to take some of the green out of the PS Elements shot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the crop is just fine. Very cute capture! It doesn't really need much. I made a new curves layer and set points at 15/5, 56/36, 203/213, and 240/249. Then I reduced the layer opacity to 25% and flattened the image. That just gave it some pop. Then I went into Color Balance and set the Cyan/Red slider toward red +2 and the Yellow/Blue slider toward blue +4. Lastly I went into Hue/Saturation and increased saturation to +10. I think that just about does it for me. Great photo! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43304125@N08/4196617710/in/photostream/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Karin,

    I was wondering if you would mind sending me an email at iheartfaces (at) hotmail (dot) com. I'd like to ask you a quick question. :)

    ~Angie
    co-founder of I ♥ Faces

    ReplyDelete